George Henry Warren (1889-1971)
of Newport, R.I.; Founder & President of the Preservation Society of Newport Co.
He was born at 28 East 64th Street, New York City, the only brother of the bronze sculptor Constance Whitney Warren. He graduated from Columbia University (1910) and was a Member of the New York Stock Exchange from 1914 to 1926. During WWI, he served as a Lieutenant and was a founder of the American Legion when it was organized in France at the end of the war. During WWII, he served with the American Field Service and the Red Cross. He was a director of the Metropolitan Opera established by his father and grandfather and in New York he was a member of the Knickerbocker and Racquet Cubs while in Newport he belonged to the Reading Room, Clambake Club, Newport Country Club and the Ida Lewis Yacht Club (of which he had been Commodore).
In 1919, he married Katherine Urquhart, Founder of the Preservation Society of Newport County. They met in Newport while she was staying with her cousin, Anne Stillman (granddaughter of James Stillman), at "Oaklawn" on Narragansett Avenue. They were the parents of two sons. In 1930, their home (formerly the property of Warren's uncle, Robert Goelet) on East Lake Road in Tuxedo Park, New York, was lost to fire. In 1932, they purchased what is now known as the Lawton-Warren House (pictured) at 118 Mill Street facing Touro Park in Newport, where they lived for the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Warren survived her husband and bequeathed their home to the Preservation Society and from 1979 to 1994 it housed the society's offices before being sold as a private home.
In 1919, he married Katherine Urquhart, Founder of the Preservation Society of Newport County. They met in Newport while she was staying with her cousin, Anne Stillman (granddaughter of James Stillman), at "Oaklawn" on Narragansett Avenue. They were the parents of two sons. In 1930, their home (formerly the property of Warren's uncle, Robert Goelet) on East Lake Road in Tuxedo Park, New York, was lost to fire. In 1932, they purchased what is now known as the Lawton-Warren House (pictured) at 118 Mill Street facing Touro Park in Newport, where they lived for the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Warren survived her husband and bequeathed their home to the Preservation Society and from 1979 to 1994 it housed the society's offices before being sold as a private home.